Friday, July 07, 2006

I'm not a mainstream sports kind of guy

I'm not your typical sports fan in America. Most of the time when I'm talking to my friends, they only watch certain sports and I'm usually the only one watching others. Here's a list of all the sports that I can think of off the top of my head:

Football:
Let's just say thank God for Tivo. The only way I can watch football is by fast forwarding through all of the commercial breaks, standing around, and commentary that goes on. I can usually zip through a 4 hour broadcast in about an hour and a half. Even then, it's a little too much because my thumb starts to cramp up.

Basketball:
I only watch the NCAA tournament, and that's only to see if the teams I picked in my bracket moved on to the next round. It turns out that I either come in last place, or I look like a genius because I picked Syracuse to go to the final four. Go figure.

Baseball:
Shoot me now. Put me out of my misery. This would be the thing that they would be showing me if I was the hooligan from A Clockwork Orange. I have a feeling that a lot of people will agree with me on this one.

Golf:
Ditto.

Hockey:
I can watch this anytime, anywhere. I'm just so happy that the NHL came back this year. I can't wait until next year.

Soccer:
Here, I'm a typical American. What's so exciting about watching 22 people run around a field for 90 minutes. I made a valiant effort to watch the World Cup this year; I just don't think we're wired to watch that sport.

Bicycling - Tour de France:
Now here's a sport that I can get into. A 3 week battle where the best prepared cyclist with the best team usually wins. I like the drama that this race creates. Don't get me wrong, I still fast forward through most of the flat stages...but I will stop to watch the climbs & sprints and I'm glued to the TV during the time trials.

Tennis:
Yup, I like this one to. I can attribute my fondness for this sport since this is one of the few sports that my father and I watched together.

That said, it's time for me to get caught up on my Wimbledon and Tour de France highlights...

No comments: