Wednesday, May 07, 2008

Let's Give a Shout Out to the Nerds!

And by Nerds, I am using the best possible connotation. I consider myself one and I'm happy to say that my nephew, Tony, is one.

Today Tony and 3 of his friends are flying from Puerto Rico to Denver in order participate in a national math competition. This competition consists of verbal and oral tests in mathematics taken over this weekend. The top 4 7th-9th grade students from every state are invited to attend the national competition.

Here's a sample problem that I posed to Tony which he answered without any problems:
One side of a right triangle has a length of 13. If the other side and the hypotenuse are whole numbers, what is the perimeter of the triangle?

You can try and plug and chug it, but it will take you a very long time since the other sides are very large number. The other way to do it is algebraically. He sent me a very elegant method of solving this problem which was cleaner than the method I used. Can you tell that I'm proud of him?

Please join me in wishing the Puerto Rican team (and Tony) luck in this week's MathCounts competition! (Tony is the one in the white hoodie and brown pants)

1 comment:

battlemaiden said...

I never would have known Tony is your relative. He doesn't look a thing like you. No, not at all. :-P