Tuesday, September 30, 2008

I Miss the Fall

Today, Julia wrote about how the damp, gray weather puts her into not quite so friendly of a mood. I have to confess that I love just that type of weather. Now that I live in Colorado, we usually go straight from Summer to Winter with about 2 weeks of Fall. I love the nice long Fall seasons that you get out East, especially in upstate New York. It's something that I didn't realize until we moved out here.

I think it all started in 4th grade when I was stuck inside on one of those typical overcast, drizzly Rochester days. I had just gotten Bunnicula in our Scholastic order that week and figured that it would be a good day to read the book. I plopped down in my bean bag chair, wrapped myself in a blanket, and read for the whole day by the muffled light that was coming in from outside. It's one of my favorite childhood memories.

Later on, in junior high and high school, I really fell in love with the season while I was running cross country. There was something magical about running through the parks in Irondequoit during that time of year. Some of my best memories are of running through Seneca Park, Helmer Nature Center, and Durand Eastman Park with a light drizzle and the smell of woodsmoke in the air. Some other great parks in the area were Webster Park and Mendon Ponds Park. God, I forget how beautiful that area is.

3 comments:

Julia said...

Funny, I was walking by Waldenbooks (or whatever they call it now) in the mall last night and saw "Bunnicula" on the Halloween display. For a moment, I thought about buying it to add to a bridal shower gift I had to give (we're supposed to bring something Halloween themed with us).

I love Autumn. I just get in a bummer mood sometimes.

battlemaiden said...

Over the weekend we drove down Belmeade on the way to Ryan's parents' house. Most of the trees were still green, but there was this one Maple that was ablaze in bright flaming orange. It was SPECTACULAR. Makes me never want to move away from Upstate NY.

Jax said...

I have to say that Will STILL has his copy of Bunnicula and still loves it.